WWE champions Sasha Banks and Naomi have been “suspended indefinately” and been stripped of their tag team titles after they walked out of Monday Night Raw last week.
“Sasha Banks and Naomi let us all down. Their actions disappointed millions of WWE fans, and their fellow superstars. So because of what Sasha and Naomi did this past Monday night, they have been suspended indefinitely,” announcer Michael Cole said on Friday.
Banks and Naomi were due to take part in a “six-pack challenge” match to determine the No. 1 contender for Bianca Belair’s Raw Women’s Championship. After they walked out, Asuka and Becky Lynch went head to head in place of the match. Asuka was the victor.
Banks and Naomi are yet to comment on the situation.
The WWE also issued the following statement about the duo’s decision to walk out:
“They claimed they weren’t respected enough as tag team champions. And even though they had eight hours to rehearse and construct their match, they claimed they were uncomfortable in the ring with two of their opponents even though they’d had matches with those individuals in the past with no consequence,” the statement reads.
The league says they failed to carry out their contractual obligations.
Monday Night Raw is a scripted live TV show, whose characters are expected to perform the requirements of their contract. We regret we were unable to deliver, as advertised, tonight’s main event.”
All Sasha and Naomi merchandise has been pulled from the WWEShop website.
After the walkout, Naomi’s husband, Jimmy Uso, posted a supported message to his wife.
Despite the suspension and the revocation of their titles, it’s unlikely either athlete will be fired. Fans are now eagerly awaiting the ladies’ official statement and/or interview about what really went down behind the scenes to cause the upset.