Comedian Amber Ruffin Pulled from White House Correspondents’ Dinner

by Gee NY
Image Credit: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP

Comedian and writer Amber Ruffin will no longer headline the White House Correspondents’ Dinner (WHCD) next month, marking the latest shakeup for the prestigious event.

White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) President Eugene Daniels confirmed the decision in an email to members on Saturday, stating that the board unanimously decided to forgo a comedic performance this year.

The WHCA previously announced Ruffin as the featured entertainer in early February, continuing the event’s tradition of bringing humor to the annual gathering of journalists, politicians, and celebrities.

Ruffin, an Emmy-nominated writer and performer known for her work on Late Night with Seth Meyers and A Black Lady Sketch Show, has built a reputation for her sharp political commentary.

WHCA Cites Focus on Journalism

Amber Ruffin speaks onstage during Survival of the Thickest Season 2 NYC Premiere on March 26, 2025 in New York City. ) / Credit: Jason Mendez/Getty Images for Netflix

Daniels, who recently transitioned from Politico to MSNBC as a senior Washington correspondent, opened up about the association’s commitment to highlighting journalism rather than political satire.

“At this consequential moment for journalism, I want to ensure the focus is not on the politics of division but entirely on awarding our colleagues for their outstanding work and providing scholarship and mentorship to the next generation of journalists,” Daniels wrote in his email.

He did not elaborate on the specifics behind the decision, but Ruffin recently suggested on The Daily Beast podcast that the WHCA had pushed for her to ensure her routine was balanced.

“They were like, ‘You need to be equal and make sure you give it to both sides and blah, blah, blah,’” Ruffin said on the podcast. “And I was like, ‘There’s no way I’m going to be freaking doing that, dude, under no circumstances.’”

Controversy and Historical Precedents

The WHCA’s decision to pull Ruffin follows past controversies surrounding comedic performances at the annual gala. In 2018, Michelle Wolf’s sharp critique of then-President Donald Trump and his administration sparked backlash, leading the WHCA to replace the comedian slot with historian Ron Chernow in 2019. The dinner was canceled in 2020 and 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic but returned in 2022 with President Joe Biden in attendance.

While President Trump famously snubbed the WHCD throughout his first term, his potential attendance at this year’s event remains uncertain. White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt acknowledged in a February briefing that Trump’s invitation was on her desk but had yet to be discussed with the president.

“It’s certainly an interesting choice,” Leavitt said at the time regarding Ruffin’s selection. “I’ll talk to the boss about it and see what we decide.”

Broader Implications

The decision to drop Ruffin underscores the evolving nature of the WHCD and the balance it seeks to strike between entertainment and media integrity.

While some view the event as a night of lighthearted humor, others argue it should remain focused on journalism, especially in an era of increasing political division.

The 2024 dinner featured Saturday Night Live’s Colin Jost as the comedian, but it also unfolded amid heightened global tensions, including the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict. Hundreds of pro-Palestinian demonstrators protested outside the Washington Hilton, highlighting how the event has become a focal point for political discourse beyond the ballroom.

As the April 26 dinner approaches, the WHCA’s decision raises questions about the future role of comedy in the event and whether it will return to its traditional format in subsequent years.

Related Posts

Crown App

FREE
VIEW